Hi, hey, hello!
WOAH! Thank you to all of the CM Band for their wonderful welcoming of the 8th graders on Friday night. I can guarantee you that just by having this event and you being there, there are students in that 8th grade band that cannot WAIT to join high school band next year. I know some younger students that are looking forward to joining high school band - it's awesome to see the longevity that this program is building!
All those attending the festival have been notified and have received some of their music for the festival. I received the other pieces yesterday and I'll hand them out next week. HERE, you'll find the permission slip for the festival, explaining the day, what you need to bring, etc. You are ambassadors of our school, so please act and dress appropriately this day, SCHOOL RULES APPLY. Please return this permission slip by Wednesday, Feb. 13.
Our winter showcase concert will be held at Cornerstone Church on Thursday, March 28th at 7:30pm. Call time for students will be 5:30pm to set up the sanctuary as well as discuss logistics for this concert. This is one of my favorite concerts of the school year because it is led by YOU, the students! Dress is all black, concert clothes. Please be prompt!
Student Leader Applications
This can be found on GoogleClassroom. The application and two teacher recommendations are required to be interviewed for a student leader position for the 2019-2020 Marching Eagles. The completed application is due on Friday, March 1st by 3pm. Interviews will be on Thursday, March 14th. Drum major clinics will be held on Monday, March 11 and Wednesday, March 13 from 3pm-4pm, with the conducting audition being during class on Thursday, March 14th. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. If you believe that you would be a positive influence on the band in any way as a student leader, APPLY!
3rd Quarter Playing Test
I'm hoping to have all information for this quarter playing test up by the end of this week. :)
Fine Arts Critique
Your second fine arts critique is due by May 3rd. There are some performances coming up that would take care of this requirement:
- MVC Festival (for those not participating, or you could use the choir if you're in band, vice versa if you're going for choir)
- CM Drama's Shrek the Musical on March 8, 9, 10
- Choir's Cabaret on March 14
- We are going to dive in Blue this week, focusing on tone, balance, and intonation because that is what is going to make this piece sparkle. We have 14 rehearsals before our Winter Showcase, so we are going to finish up the ensembles and start performing them for the class - starting next week.
Week of Feb. 4
Monday, Feb. 4
- Pep Band (5:45pm call - wear polo - this call time is different that last week's update because I forgot that girl's basketball games started earlier than boy's - it is SENIOR NIGHT so we will stay for the entire game)
Friday, Feb. 8
- Jazz Band (3pm-4:30pm)
Week of Feb. 11
Tuesday, Feb. 12
- Fine Arts Booster Meeting (6pm, CM Commons)
Wednesday, Feb. 13
- Tri-M Board Meeting (7:30am)
- Tri-M Meeting w/ Valentine's Rehearsal for Cedarhurst (2:40pm)
- Tri-M Applications DUE
Thursday, Feb. 14
- Early Dismissal Day
- Tri-M to Cedarhurst
- Parent/Teacher Conferences
Friday, Feb. 15
- No School for students - District Institute Day
- Jazz Band (3pm-4:30pm)
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know!
Musically yours --
Updates will go out weekly to all band parents and students. If you're not receiving these updates, double check Miss Davis has the most up-to-date email address for you!